"Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions"





Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Venting Frustration

Can somebody please tell my why our society is so messed up? There are so many things that I could post, but I'm not going to. One thing that is really messed up, in my opinion, is our nation's public school system, especially here in Utah. I started my classes yesterday for the new semester, and one of my teachers currently teaches at East High School. His previous teaching job was at a private school in Salt Lake. He told us during class that every year at the private school, they would receive new books, and then basically throw them out the next year or two because "no one wanted them". He told us that in his new class of 40 students, they only had 10 books for the whole classroom! Is there something wrong with this picture? Education is one of the most important things that we can receive in this life. How are our kids supposed to receive a proper education when there aren't even enough text books for each student to have? In my opinion, our society has their priorities messed up. It seems like we care about entertainment more than our students' education. I love sports and entertainment, but why in the world do we spend billions of dollars on that and hardly anything on schools? I don't care if I don't get paid much being a teacher (because obviously I'm not doing it for the money), but don't make my students suffer and have inadequate materials so they wont be able to learn all they can. I know having every single school receive the same adequate funds is probably not going to happen any time soon. There has been talk by the legislature for years about increasing per pupil spending and increasing teachers' salaries. But when is it actually going to happen? Who knows. Until then, I will do all I can as a teacher to make sure that our students, who are our future, receive the proper education that they deserve. That's my opinion anyway. What do you think?

3 comments:

Becca Jane said...

What do I think? I think you're HOT.
But I also agree 100%. It's sooo sad that our children's education seems to be so far down on the priority list. I worry about our kids. I'm so glad you've decided to become a teacher....our school systems need more people like you! I LOVE YOU!!

Kasie said...

I completely agree. I have a TON of problems with the U.S.'s public education system, and funding is definitely one of them. How do they expect us to do our jobs if we don't have the resources available to do it well? There is a girl in one of my classes who is student teaching P.E. and has 51 students in each of her classes and NO prep period! Ahhhh! I guess all we can do it try and limit the impact on the students! Go teachers!

Let the party begin... said...

From a Canadian persepective, we have similar problems here but I don't think to quite that extent as we don't have as large a population. I think greed plays a very big part as to why our school systems are the way they are. While our children are in shcool there is no profit for the govenment but mention that their schools are further behind other countries and suddenly there is a cry of outrage as to who is to blame. Our priorities as a government is so warped it's not surprising that we are faced with these realities. It's no wonder more and more people are turning to homeschooling, something I am not oppose to but definitely isn't for me. As a concerned parent I make sure my kids do their homework to the best of their abilities each and every day and read every day for half an hour. They also have an hour of school work during the summer just to keep things fresh in their minds. Summers should be a time of freedoms to do whatever but because of our school system, I have to make sure my kids are given as much education as I can. Those are my opinions...sorry if it seems like I'm venting, lol!