"Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions"





Monday, May 12, 2008

The Answer and story behind my question of the week...




My question of the week was: Which food DID I eat in Korea?


The answer is.....King crab brain.




It wasn't very tasty. In fact, I didn't know what it was until after I ate it. One of the families we were teaching took us out to dinner one evening. They said it was a surprise were we were going. We started walking through a fish market and I'm like, oh no!!! I didn't like fish very much. Well, we stopped at a King Crab stand, and Byung Gook (the guy we were teaching) told us to pick one. I couldn't even look at them...they were so big and nasty. We eventually picked one and then we took it to a near by Japanese restaurant were you bring your own food and they cooked it for us. While we were waiting, out come a huge plate full of Sushi. I had never tried it before, and I thought I was going to throw up. Then a few minutes later, out come the King Crab that we just bought who was alive 30 minutes earlier. Byung Gook tore off a huge leg and handed it to me and said, "eat up!" At the table there were some scissors and chop sticks. I had no idea how to eat it. I watched everyone else to find out how. They would use the scissors to cut up the outer shell of the leg and then use the chop sticks to dig out the meat. I hesitated, but finally gave it. It actually wasn't that bad. The meat tastes like buttery turkey! Not too bad at all. But then Byung Gook started cutting the head and the body up and eating it. He gave me some and said, "try some of this!" I tried it, and thought I was going to throw up! He then told me that it was the brain. I'm sure most of you have tasted the yoke of a hardboiled egg....well, the brain tasted like a very mushy, salty, egg yolk. It was gross!!!! It had the same texture. Sorry if I ruined everyones ability to eat hard boiled egg yolk. Sothis was the first meal that I had king crab and sushi at the same meal....I almost threw up by the end of the night.


eewwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not as bad cooked

So tonight we ate a Korean dinner! It was soo good. We made some kimchi pogumbap. (Kimchi mixed in rice.) We also has some mahndoo (like pot stickers). And some seaweed!!! yum!!!! We are going to eat Korean foom more often.

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

That's a great story. I'm glad I served in the Netherlands and Belgium where I didn't have to eat scary body parts of animals.

Let the party begin... said...

My husband served in Hawaii and tried to introduce me to sushi. It took me 16 years to like it. I actually went to a sushi restaurant for my last birthday.